Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My New Year's Resolution

So I am not one for resolutions – just like everyone else, I tend to fail at them – but this year my husband and I are doing one together. Luckily it’s not a yearlong one; we’ve set ourselves a 90 day goal to eat clean and try to lose some of the pesky body fat we haven’t been able to shed. Many of you know, my husband is a personal trainer, so this sort of thing is pretty easy for him. Really, it’s more of a challenge for me.

I like to say in another life I was an Italian grandmother because of how much and what I like to cook. I love to have people over and pile their plates high with the food I made – I get that from my Southern family. But my favorite things to make are pastas with homemade sauce, garlic bread, and all kinds of things with meat and cheese. Yep, super healthy.

So what does this crazy resolution entail? No sodas, at all, no cheese, at all, no fast food, at all, minimal bread (whole wheat if any and only in the morning), carb depletion through the day, so at dinner we’ll mostly only get fibrous carbs. This also means the only complex carbs I’m allowed will be oatmeal in the morning, that occasional wheat bread, red potatoes (and not often), sweet potatoes and brown rice (which I hate). Yeah, no pastas, no garlic breads, no red meats. Sounds like so much fun, right?

But I keep telling myself it’s only until the end of March and maybe not even that long if we hit our goals early. My husband tells me the first 30 days are the hardest but luckily my husband’s birthday is at the end of January and he’s agreed to some leniency while we celebrate so I’m able to set shorter goals so it isn’t as daunting. And I’ve always wanted to throw a Saint Patrick’s Day party and this year it’s on a Saturday so after his birthday I just have to make it to St. Patrick’s day and then it’s only a couple of weeks after that. Not bad, right?

I know, it’s gonna be hard, but that’s also why I’m blogging about it – telling everyone in the world about it will hold me accountable. Its only day 2 and people are already asking us how it’s going and I don’t want to be that person who says they’ve already caved. Now you all know so if I cave or cheat there are a lot of people who will know and that’s embarrassing. And since I’m doing it with my husband, if I cave, I’m letting him down. It’s a little easier knowing someone else is depending on me to help them reach their goal and I don’t want to let him down.
We’ve done really well building muscle and stamina but we haven’t done what we should have to shed excess body fat so now we’re doing it. A little backwards but at least we’re doing it.

I’ll let you know how we do and how well our marriage survives, lol!

0 comments:

Post a Comment