Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Catching Up With You

I have no idea what to blog about today so I thought I could just pop in, say hi, and catch you up on anything I can think of. I know, exciting, right?

In the world of books, I am working on the cover for the sequel to Earth, which, if you don’t know, will be titled Air. I am also going over the final draft of the manuscript. There’s a bit of fact checking I have to get done. It’s amazing how much easier it is to remember insane details about other people’s work than it is for your own. I could tell you scads of info on Harry Potter, Cat and Bones, Rachel and Ivy. But my own work? I gotta go back and check. The hubs just finished reading Air and gave me the thumbs up on the fight scenes so now I don’t have to worry about that.

As far as Earth goes, sales are still plugging along. Amazon had a huge sale this week where they priced over 900 books on sale for $.99-$2.99, and it doesn’t end until tomorrow and that has hurt me a little. I mean, I love sales, and books sales rock, but it created a lot of new competition for me. But! It’ll be over tomorrow so there’s that at least. Last night I stayed up late working on bookmarks for Earth, I finally decided on the design and will have them in my hot little hand very soon! I’ll be excited to give them out to whoever may want one. I wanted a cool/funny/deep/interesting quote on the back but I just couldn’t decide on which on so instead I’m just pimping Air on the back.

My editor/proofreader/crit partner and friend, Cassie Robertson has been working for Hazard Editing for a couple of months now. I hate to share her and her amazing grammar skills and keen eye, but I like to give back to the community when I can. If you’re working on a project and need a new editor or haven’t found one yet, I swear by Cassie. She’s very aware of writerly egos so if you’re a delicate flower she can be kind. If you’re like me, though, I want your work to be stronger and better, you can tell her to rip it to shreds and she won’t hold back. You can find the lovely Miss Cassie here: Hotels and Novels.

In random news, we of course saw the last installment of Harry Potter. I cried my eyes out. I have been in celebrity love with Alan Rickman for a very, very long time, and he did not disappoint. I could’ve nit picked at the changes in the story from the book, but as the movies went, it was definitely the best. I am so glad JK Rowling finally agreed to act as a producer on the final film; because it was obvious she was an asset. We also saw Captain America since that was my hubs favorite Avenger when he was a kid. I knew little about Captain America, but the movie was enjoyable and had its funny moments. I hope, if you went to see it, you stayed until after the credits. I will never understand why people will walk out of a Marvel movie before the end of the credits.

As for books, my mother and I went to the book store last week and we each bought a book. I bought Fairy Bad Day by Amanda Ashby and my mom bought The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross. Once we’re done we’re gonna trade. I picked Fairy Bad Day because the blurb on the back made the voice sound so funny. I have to say it’s not nearly as funny as I thought it was going to be based on that, but I am enjoying it. I have about a hundred pages to go, so we’ll see how it ends. Also, I loved the cover and I seriously want the shoes the chick is wearing. Like I would mug her for them. I’m very excited to get my hands on the other book though.

Well, I suppose it back to the trenches. Them books ain’t gonna write themselves.

Oh and speaking of them books, Earth is now available in paper back on Amazon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment