Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Comments on the first day published and Sunday Night's events

I managed to get through the coding of my book on Sunday and uploaded it to kdp.amazon.com, pubit.com and smashwords.com. Nineteen hours later it was up on Barnes and Noble and Smashwords and another seven hours later is was up on Amazon. It was so bizarre to type in my name to the search bar of Barnesandnoble.com and Amazon.com and see my book come up in the results. I have to admit it was the coolest moment ever.

But I have to say the most amazing thing ever was getting an e-mail from Smashwords at about 9:15am, just two hours after my book went live, that someone had bought my book. I immediately asked my mom if she had bought it instead of going through B&N (she owns a Nook) only to find out she hadn’t checked her e-mail or Facebook yet and didn’t know she could buy it yet. Someone I didn’t know had already bought my book. I could have cried. I know it’s only one sale, but knowing it wasn’t a friend or family member was crazy for me. I would kiss that nameless, faceless person if I could. Even if they hate my book and put up a bad review, I would still love them for buying my book.

I am disappointed to know that of the three only Smashwords will e-mail you to tell you if a book has been sold. Now that I know that I am constantly checking my stats/sales reports like a crazy person. At this rate I’ll have to buy a new mouse by the end of the month. I am happy to report that so far I have sold three books, not including the one my mom bought. I have no idea who those three people are because none of my friends have said they bought it – though very few of my friends own e-readers and the ones that do are going through finals in Master’s programs so I don’t really expect them to buy it right now.

I have e-mailed a few book bloggers asking them to read and review my book; I plan to seek out a few more today because that is the only way I can see to get my book out there. I pray they like it, but I promise if they don’t I will bite my tongue and hold my fingers away from the keys. I’d like to be well-known for my work not my crazy lapse in judgment.
Now my awesome friend Cassie is reading book 2 and hopefully will be getting to the line edits soon so I’ll be going over book 3 so it’ll be ready for her when she’s done. Then I’ll have no excuse but to finish book 4. It’s been nearly a year in the making because I finally decided to stop procrastinating about book 1 and get it out there.

And I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the world changing events of Sunday night. I am, and have always been, very proud to be an American. I remember very clearly where I was when I heard about the Twin Towers. I was driving my car on my way to class in my Sophomore Year of college. At the time I had no idea what the Twin Towers were, but when I got to school and every television was tuned into the horror and destruction I cried with my friends. Sunday night, when the President spoke, I sat on my couch with my husband, who I am proud to say served with the Marines, I cried again. I personally did not lose anyone on 9/11/01 but for so many that did, I know his death does not bring back your loved ones, but I hope it helps you to finally start healing.

2 comments:

Meaghan said...

I just bought your book.. for serious. Found the link to it here: http://indieparanormalbooksreviews.blogspot.com/2011/05/friday-finds-sweet-indie-deals-may-6.html - and I liked the description. I've been having a hankering for something witchy lately, so I'm excited to read it! Plus, I downloaded it to Kindle for iPhone, which means I'll probably read it faaast.

One suggestion for you (not that I know much about how Amazon's deal works) but you should have a link to your blog or twitter on your book's Amazon page, I had to Google you to find you!

Shauna Granger said...

Meaghan, Thank you so much for your support! I hope the book lives up to your expectations! And thanks for the suggestion about linking the blog. There is a placce on B&N where I was able to do it easily, but I had to just add it to the book description on Amazon, but I've done it! Thanks again, happy reading!

Post a Comment